Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Some things I heard

I'd like to comment further on what Jason Whitlock said in an interview for the Today show.

Mr. Whitlock said something of the sorts as ..."Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton asked for forgiveness when they morally failed ..."

My question to Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson--both ministers of the faith that esteems reconciliation--have they first sought to forgive and set in place the steps toward reconciliation? Have they forgiven Don Imus?

If so, are the steps they are taking done so with the intent of reconciliation with Imus and others hurt?

1 comment:

ScottVW said...

Sorry, I've been "off my blog" for a while, and didn't get your message until now. I'd love to do lunch or coffee. I'll email you plans. On the Imus thing, I watched a good discussion on Meet the Press about this issue, and I can understand those who were genuinely offended by the comment. I do think some people are making political hay of the situation and grandstanding a bit, but that's what politicians do, and Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are more politicians than pastors. I do think we should hold them to Biblical standards, but Martin Luther King was opposed in his time by people who thought he should just accept the situation of black people because he was a Christian. This is a different set of circumstances, to be sure, so probably mercy is more appropriate in this case than calls for "justice." I think justice has been served, and now's the time for reconciliation work to begin.