Wednesday, June 18, 2003

Father Maloney AKA George A. Maloney, S.J.

About a year ago I went to a monastery. While there, I rummaged through the monastery's book store. I came across a book called:

Jesus, Set me Free!
Inner Freedom Through Contemplation


Up until this week I hadn't pick up the book. On Monday I read the introduction. It goes as follows:

You and I are more slaves than freed persons. Part of our slavery consists in having forgotten what true freedom means as children of God. We often are content to live in the narrow confines of our slavery, mainly because everyone else is in the same prison. Blindness is not so great a suffering if all human begins were born blind and never could know any other possibility. But blindness would become unbearable if there were among all the blind persons one man who really could see!
The way we perceive ourselves, God and the world is fairly much the same way others perceives the same relationships. That precisely is part of our slavery. But Jesus Christ came among us with the eyes of God. He was "the true light that enlightens all men" (Jn 1:9). That light shines in our darkness and cannot be overpowered by our darkness (Jn 1:5).

I wanted share this 'cause it reminds me of the Matrix and the study we are doing at Apex.

I can't recommend this book per se cause I haven't read it. But when I'm finished, I'll pass along my thumbs up or thumbs down.

No comments: